piphilology, that is how to memorise the first digits of the endless constant π. Here goes one we liked:
- Ἀεὶ ὁ Θεὸς ὀ Μέγας γεωμετρεῖ,
- τὸ κύκλου μῆκος ἵνα ὁρίσῃ διαμέτρῳ,
- παρήγαγεν ἀριθμὸν ἀπέραντον,
- καὶ ὅν, φεῦ, οὐδέποτε ὅλον θνητοὶ θὰ εὕρωσι
- The Great God applies geometry forever;
- To define the length of the circle using its diameter,
- He produced an infinite number,
- Which, alas, mortals will never find in its entirety.
- The image comes from a 13th century manuscript in France, depicting Christ as a geometre, and it seems to suit the above mnemonic well.